Monday, December 26, 2022

Christmas Cookies

 As I sit here this evening basking in the "Day after Christmas" glow, I have been contemplating how to fill a single post with everything I wish to share from our Christmas adventures. I have decided that it isn't possible to do that, so you may have to endure more than one post. 

I am going to go back a few days to Thursday evening before Christmas...Christmas cookie day! 


Sugar Cookies

Ever since I was a child, no Christmas seemed complete without a batch or two of my mother's sugar cookies with buttercream frosting. They are so soft and chewy, and are the only sugar cookie recipe my family uses...the only one we've ever needed.

I remember as a child sitting around the table with bowls of colored frosting as we slathered the icing onto the cookies with knives and used sprinkles to decorate them, anticipating that first yummy bite. Now as an adult, I use piping bags and decorating tips in order to decorate them with fancy designs. I still have to make multiple batches every year, for lots of different holidays. 


Cookies - Summer 2020

Thursday evening I baked and decorated 44 Christmas trees to be given out to various family and friends, as well as have a few for our own Christmas dinner. I listened to Christmas carols while I baked and cooled and frosted and sprinkled.





My daughter and husband assisted. Aaron even decorated a couple himself, since a few were for his work friends. 

I'll end today's post with the recipe, and I hope you'll make these wonderful cookies for yourself!


Becky's Sugar Cookies

1 cup butter or margarine
1/2 tsp salt
2 cups sugar
4 eggs
3 Tbs milk
1 tsp vanilla
2 tsp baking powder
5 cups flour

Cream butter and sugar together. Add milk, baking powder, salt, eggs and vanilla. Blend well. Add flour a little at a time until all the flour is mixed in. If dough is sticky, extra flour may be added. Roll dough out about 1/4-inch thick and cut with cutters. Bake at 375° F. until cookies are slightly browned around bottom edge and little spongy on top. Ice with Wilton Buttercream Icing.


Wilton Buttercream Icing

1/2 cup solid vegetable shortening
4 cups powdered sugar
1/2 cup butter or margarine
2 Tbs milk
1 tsp vanilla extract

Cream butter and shortening with an electric mixer. Add vanilla. Gradually add sugar one cup at a time, beating well on medium speed. Scrape sides of bowl often. When all sugar has been mixed in, icing will appear dry. Add milk and beat at medium speed until light and fluffy. Add coloring if desired and beat until mixed evenly. 

*As a side note, I prefer gel food coloring, as it doesn't thin out the frosting. Enjoy your cookies!

1 comment:

  1. Your cookies are always so beautiful and always delicious, too! It wouldn't be Christmas without them! I love your new blog! Keep up the fantastic job!

    ReplyDelete

Sour Dough Biscuits and Upcoming Changes

Good evening, friends! August is here and we will soon be in autumn and I can't wait!!! On August 1st the month started with a super moo...