Thursday, February 9, 2023

Recent Adventure: National Toy and Miniature Museum

Hello, my friends!

I have come to the realization that I am never going to have time to keep you guys updated on a daily basis, so I am going to have to resign myself to keeping you up-to-date with recent goings on.

Today's thoughts have turned to a recent adventure that took place last month.

One January Sunday afternoon Aaron was off work, and we had been stuck in the house for awhile since my health was not great for a few weeks. We wanted something not far away that wouldn't be overly tiring, so we decided to go to the National Museum of Toys and Miniatures here in Kansas City.

Aaron and Alysia Enjoy the Toy and Doll Floor

Now let me preface this by saying that I have always been fascinated by miniatures...especially extremely well crafted ones. Recently while talking to my mother about this adventure, she shared with me that my grandmother had this same fascination, and collected a lot of miniatures. Maybe I got it from her? Anyway...

It was one of the most fun things we've done in awhile. I was truly fascinated. The entire downstairs of the museum is all miniatures, while the upstairs is all "vintage" toys. Vintage apparently means everything from 1800s to my own childhood. LOL. I guess I'm now vintage...is this what your late 30s feels like?!

A Miniature Violin Maker's Workshop Inside a Violin

Most of the miniatures are made in 1:12 scale, meaning they are made to scale of 1 inch per foot. There were so many cool things to see...and since so many things are so small they have magnifying glasses throughout the museum that people can use as they peruse the exhibits. There are also educational resources throughout the space showing how different fine miniatures are made.

Scale Comparison - Normal Size setting Vs. Miniature Setting

This is by far one of the coolest things in Kansas City to go see...a total of 33,000 sq feet with 93,000+ objects. And it all started with two women who were just collecting things they loved. Barbara Hall Marshall collected miniatures, while Mary Harris Francis was collecting dolls, large doll houses and other vintage toys. 

The ladies eventually met, and somehow an idea presented itself to start a museum. And it sounds like their husbands were happy to get more space in their houses when the collections found a new home. 😂

Noah's Ark

Miniature Cottage with Miniature Garden

All in all - it was a great leisurely afternoon trip, and highly recommended. Now I want to start my own miniature collection!

In other news I've been super busy preparing for another catering job. This time it's for a church Valentine's Banquet of 32 people. The dinner is tomorrow. Stay tuned for more news on that! 

Have a great weekend, and I'll be back to visit soon.

Amanda

2 comments:

  1. This sounds like a really neat place to visit! We will have to visit it together sometime when I'm up. <3

    ReplyDelete

Sour Dough Biscuits and Upcoming Changes

Good evening, friends! August is here and we will soon be in autumn and I can't wait!!! On August 1st the month started with a super moo...