Monday, July 3, 2023

Graduation, Garden Produce and Refrigerator Pickles

Hello, friends.

A couple of weekends ago we had another niece's graduation party. Lizzy graduated this year as well, and I was able to go down early that day in order to help her do her hair and nails. I thought her hair turned out really great. I found some small sparkly silver and cubic zirconia hair jewels that we used in it. Congratulations to Lizzie on her graduation. We are so proud of her.


Lizzy's Hair

Aaron, the Girls and I with Lizzy


It may only be early summer, but our garden has already started producing and we are extremely excited to be eating out of it already.


Fresh Green Beans

So far, we have had a couple of messes of new potatoes and green beans with ham, and it was so delicious. It reminded me of my childhood when my mom and grandma used to make the same thing. I haven't had this recipe in probably 20 to 25 years. 


Here’s the recipe for you!


***************


New potatoes and Green Beans

1½ pounds baby potatoes

1½-2 pounds fresh green beans, washed and snapped

1 stick of butter

Salt and pepper to taste

1 ham steak


Wash baby potatoes and green beans. Boil green beans and baby potatoes seperately until soft. Once both vegetables are soft drain all of the water out of the potatoes and most of the water out of the beans leaving about a half inch or so in the bottom. Combine potatoes and green beans. Chop ham steak into small pieces and add to the pot, along with butter, salt and pepper. Stir together until butter is melted and serve hot. 


New Potatoes and Green Beans with Hot Biscuits


***************


I also have been getting a few cucumbers and so while I didn't have enough to make a big batch of  pickles yet, I did make a couple of quarts of refrigerator pickles that are absolutely delicious. While making the pickles I, unfortunately, did not have any fresh dill so I did use dried dill weed. However, I would prefer to make them with fresh dill if you have it available.


I also pickled a small jar of green beans so Aaron could try them. We both love them so I'll probably be trying to pickle some more beans in the future. You really can use this recipe on any vegetable that you want to. I want to try carrots and cauliflower as well. Yummy! 


I did start with a recipe for refrigerator pickles, but then I ended up changing it enough that it is really a completely new recipe. Here is the recipe that I created. Each recipe will make 1 quart of pickles.


***************

Refrigerator Pickles


¾ cup white vinegar

1½ tablespoons kosher salt

1 tablespoon sugar

1 cup cold water

1 pound cucumbers, cut into spears

2 teaspoons ground coriander

3 large garlic cloves, peeled and halved

¼ teaspoon ground dry mustard

8 dill sprigs or ½ teaspoon dried dill weed


Combine the vinegar, salt and sugar in a stainless steel pan. Put on a burner on high heat and whisk until the salt and sugar are dissolved. Pour the brine into a bowl and add cold water. Refrigerate brine until ready to use. Wash and cut the cucumbers into quarters. Pack into a clean quart jar and add spices to top. Pour cooled brine over the cucumbers and spices, adding a bit of water at the top If needed to cover cucumbers. Cover jar tightly and place in refrigerator. Cucumbers will be ready after 24 hours and will be good for up to 1 month in the refrigerator.


Cucumbers Being Cut Up

Refrigerator Pickles

Pickled Green Beans

***************


In school Kayla has been studying both different kinds of governments as well as our representative government and the branches of it. I came up with some pretty interesting visual aids this week. I'm not  an artist  but these visual representations helped her pass her history and geography test. I think her favorite has been her "dictator" which she has been carrying around the house.


Duties of the 3 Branches of Government

Our "Dick-Tater"

The Branches of Government

Alysia is still working on her finals over this last set of books, but Kayla did really well on hers, so her reward was to make cupcakes. We made white cupcakes with pink and white strawberry flavored frosting. She loved them, and was sweet enough to want to take some over to our neighbor. They were super delicious and I am hoping Alysia does as well so that she can get her reward in as well. We were so busy in the last few weeks that we got a little bit behind in school and it's taking her just a bit to catch up. However, since we aren't taking the whole summer off, I'm ok with going a bit slower.


Kayla's Cupcakes

Kayla Enjoyed Decorating Her Cupcakes

Cupcake Close-Up

We are preparing for 4th of July tomorrow. I can hear fireworks going off and my husband mowing the lawn as I type. We are going to have company. My mother-in-law and her new boyfriend, as well as my sister-in-law and her fiancé, will be present. We're going to grill out and probably go watch some fireworks.


Last week I got my nails done for 4th of July and when I got home Kayla had to have hers done as well. I thought it was cute that she wanted to be just like mama.


Kayla and I's Nails


Well, that catches you up for now. I'll check in with you soon. In the meantime, have a very happy 4th of July, as well as a safe one!




 Amanda


No comments:

Post a Comment

Sour Dough Biscuits and Upcoming Changes

Good evening, friends! August is here and we will soon be in autumn and I can't wait!!! On August 1st the month started with a super moo...